This section of the site is designed to be interactive. Posts will include news, blog posts and videos. Just follow the labels to your areas of interest in the "Updates & Labels" post below.

We encourage you to leave comments. If you don't have a blog... please leave a NAME & EMAIL ADDRESS.

Are you on MySpace? Click here to friend us and get updates through bulletins!

showrogue07c

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The blessing and curse...

from Marcel
... in what I do and how I do it... is that I've never followed convention. I have never looked at it as good or bad... but merely as how I do it.

Weather it is in the writing or directing... the piece created is what I would pay to see onstage. Sure, I steal from a lot of sources. I would be a delusional idiot if I thought that everything that I do hasn't been done before. (Afterall, there are only 36 plots and subsets thereof that really exist in the entire world.) It's the spin now that makes it original. My peers may take umbrage to what I do and how it's done. But that's them and I'm me. I can only stay true to me... warts and all.

I value opinion... in as much as it is that. Though I have found that opinion in my field is almost always dictated by "conventional wisdom"... that only became convention from whence it was once radical and dared the same-old to be otherwise. This, I have found especially so with those who have known me (and my work) for a while. I love being challenged... though sometimes their regard (or disregard) of my work can be suspect. There are times I have to wonder about the motivations behind their opinions. I am never arrogant enough to think that an opinion given is totally moot.

Yet, there is a part of me that almost wants to disregard opinions given by peers who are practitioners in this craft. That in form, content or execution... the journey crafted took them to an unexpected country... and they rail simply because it's not what they would have done... or where they would have gone. But they did not create the path or the destination... we did. No, I'm not Neil Simon or Shakespeare... nor do I pretend to be. The paths and destinations they created are theirs... this is ours... and I'm quite happy of that being so.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home