This section of the site is designed to be interactive. Posts will include news, blog posts and videos. Just follow the labels to your areas of interest in the "Updates & Labels" post below.

We encourage you to leave comments. If you don't have a blog... please leave a NAME & EMAIL ADDRESS.

Are you on MySpace? Click here to friend us and get updates through bulletins!

showrogue07c

Monday, November 27, 2006

a little more to go... but it seems like forever

It's been a month and a half since I undertook this write. I was thinking I would crank out the first working draft in a couple of weeks... yet I'm still at it. I have imprisoned myself until I achieve my goal... that oh so elusive first draft.

Creating the video last week did provide me a little boost of confidence. At least it got my juices flowing again. No more videos though until this thing is completed.


In
the article last week in Fresno Famous, I touched a bit on why I think this write has been so tough. All good reasons. Though by thinking about those reasons I stumbled upon another. I've been analyzing as I go along. I've never really done that before. In the 50 odd pieces that bear my name I just let it flow. There wasn't thought of technique. There wasn't analysis. There was just write. I was cranking them out too. (My personal record was 9 pieces in one year.)

So where did the analysis come from? One word: teaching. Until early this Summer, I was teaching theatre (including playwriting) ... and teaching it for the last 5 years. Coincidence? When one is teaching, analysis and technique is always present... simply because that's the thrust of the gig. It's in your thoughts when you greet the working day and doesn't leave until you put down the grading pen to fall asleep. So, perhaps it is true that one learns technique to forget it when one is doing it... but it is ever present when one is teaching it.


So, unless I can break from this cycle of thinking about technique and analysis while attempting to create this play... you may just be witnessing the slow disintegration of the playwright within me.
Now back to the write.

cheers!
marcel


tjsignbot

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ScarySquirrelMan said...

i sufered the same disease once i had completed a season of reffing youth soccer. i went back to playing at the high school level and suddenly found myself shackled by the very rules i had never known indepth before. it made me a more cautious player and, in the end, diminished my game.

November 27, 2006 at 10:44:00 PM PST  
Blogger Stealth said...

god you are so damn creative.

November 28, 2006 at 6:11:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home